Best Views in Highland County
2760 Mill Gap Rd
Our cottage is located in the pristine valley of Mill Gap just south of Dividing Waters where the Potomac and Jackson rivers begin. Our Farms nestled in the southern most area of our country where maple syrup is produced. Our valley boasts the highest sugar content in the local trees. This enables the local sugar camps to produce some of the finest maple syrup in the around. We believe the minerals in our soils is the key to our delicious syrup.
The cottage has a walkup loft with a queen size bed and love seat. Downstairs there is a dining area that will comfortably seat four. The living area looks north towards Blue Grass, Virginia. There is a small wood stove for the coldest of nights. The front porch has two rocking chairs that overlook the valley below. Our views are more than 270 degrees. The home can comfortably sleep four (two in the queen bed and two on the pullout sofa). If you are adventurous, camping on the floor will open more options for additional guests. We have a full bath with tub/shower combination. The home has full HVAC. Our breezes in the summer make a/c almost not necessary.
Not far from the cottage is our barn with the alpacas and sheep. We have chickens, cattle, a horse and bees on the farm, too. We will gladly introduce you to all of our animals. Most of which are very photogenic and love to be in photos. Except maybe the bees. They do not cuddle like the alpacas.
Distance to the Cottage
2 Hours 45 Minutes
3 Hours 45 Minutes
3 Hours 30 Minutes
5 Hours 30 Minutes
What We Provide
- Linens for 2 queen beds
- 4 sets of body and hand towels, wash cloths
- Keurig with supply of K-Cups
- Sugar & Coffee sweeteners
- Bagels & Cream Cheese (sometimes substituted with pancake mix and our organic maple syrup)
- Orange Juice
- Eggs – from our organically fed free range chickens (in season)
- Gas Grill
- The home does not have a television. The internet is limited to spotty 3g. This is an excellent place to disconnect from everything.
- We have an information document for you to use to make the most of you stay with us.
- Wood stove with wood on the front porch for the coldest of nights.
- Wifi & cell reception is available on the porch of the main home, approximately ¼ mile up the hill. Wifi password is in the document we leave on the dining table.
- Enjoy use of the property to include the wooded area behind the main home. There are old logging roads throughout the mountain. The cattle are normally free ranging in this area but today they are in the front pasture. They will not bother you.
- There are canoes on the side of the barn – feel free to use them – I will rinse them off if you want to use them.
- Use of guns is permitted – Please let us know when you would like to shoot so we can help set up targets behind the white barn. We don’t shoot around the red barn – don’t want to scare the alpacas.
This cottage is located at Mill Gap Farms in beautiful Highland County. Below you will find a list of attractions nearby and in adjacent counties.
- Coursney Springs Fish Hatchery – Williamsville (pack a lunch or stop at Mountain Oasis for a great sandwich) open daily from 8-3:30pm. Make sure you get a fishing license if you want to fish. The game wardens are everywhere in Highland. Mountain Oasis has licensees.
- Around the hatchery are hiking trails and mountain bike trails
- Check out the recreation area located a couple minutes south of the hatchery – there is a swinging bridge and great places for picnics.
- Locust Springs Recreation Area – Laurel Fork – located in WV and can be accessed from 250 or back roads through Blue Grass
- Highland Wildlife Management Area– Hiking trails start on 250 (look for a small sign north along the road)
- Shaw’s Fork – mainly a horse area but there are some hiking trails
- Gorge – is not a defined area but located along route 614 (out of McDowell) along the way to Williamsville. There is great fishing and places for picnics along this route.
- Trout & Smallmouth fishing – in Williamsville and along the gorge. The Jackson offers fishing too. We can guide you to some great spots for a small fee – $35 for 4 hours of fishing (which would include use of our rods and equipment)
- This would require a day’s notice for us to prepare
- License and permits need to be obtained prior to fishing – we can assist with the proper permits
- Sugar Camps – There are many sugar camps in the area that are open to tours throughout the season.
- Ramsey’s Draft – Great hike into up to Ramsey’s Wilderness along the draft (creek) (at the base of the mountain of 250)
- Confederate Breastworks at the top of the mountain on route 250 – Augusta/Highland county line
- Elliot’s knob – Second highest point in Virginia – White Top in Damascus being highest
- Summit the mountain via jeep trail or various hiking trails
- This is epic mountain biking
- North Mountain – mountain biking & hiking
- Braley Pond – fishing, mountain biking & hiking
- Elkhorn Lake – fishing, mountain biking & hiking
- Todd Lake – small camping area with swimming lake.
- Omni resort, where you will find the hot springs and more dining options.
- Falling Springs Falls – located on 220, 5 miles north of Covington (about 45 minutes away). Consider this a stop along the way only if you are in the area. I would not consider this a destination.
- Hidden Valley Park – hiking & fishing –THIS IS YOUR BEST SOURCE FOR AN EASY HIKE ALONG THE RIVER!
- Upper & lower Reservoirs – Pretty cool place located about 15 minutes south on 84
- Douthat State Park – Possible fee area
- Lake Moomaw – about one hour from us south – here you find fishing, hiking/biking trails.
- Outfitter Rentals – mountain bikes 540-839-6455 (daily/weekly rentals)
- Omni Resort Homestead
- Spa – open daily (recommended reservations for weekend)
- $65 per person or $120 for couple for day pass
- Outdoor octagon naturally heated pool
- Day pass allow use of sauna & steam room
Churches in the Area
- We attend Highland Baptist Church on 220, just outside of town – Bible Study 10:00 & Sunday Service 11:00
- Mennonite church of McDowell – meets in McDowell Ruritan club building.
- Blue Grass Methodist – meets in Blue Grass in a church built of dark stone – on Blue Grass Valley Road
- There are a couple Presbyterian Churches in the county
- 7thDay Adventist – Meets in McDowell
- World of Faith Church – meets in the town of Monterey behind the Highland Medical Center